Skip to main content

Laos!

Hey all,
I arrived in laos yesterday and it is lovely!
After a 22 hour bus ride we arrived in Vienine. The Laos countryside is lovely, my first impression is that it is very similar to melbournes bushland near standrews, it felt a little like home.
The further we drove the more stunning the landscape became, it looks a little hike ha long bay on land with rocky cliffs and mountains.
We spent one night in the capital and had a great night, we ate dinner by the river (a little dried up but nice anyway) we had about 6 beer lao longnecks each and partied the night away. The next day we mucked around a little then caught the 6pm bus to veng vieng The tubing capital of the world.
We are staying in these cute little bungalows for $5 each ($2.50 each) similar to the ones in koh Chang but more clean and fancy. We have gathered quite a posse, there are 2 canadian girls with us a british girl, dutch guy and me.
Today we went tuing, the ain attraction of vang vieng. it was so much fun! floating down the river in a truck tyre with a beer (or in my case a gin and tonic) stopping of at bamboo bars alongside the river. The other guys had a swing into the water from giant swings but i was too chicken too and just floated around.
Tonight we ate indian, i am so full!
well tmorrow i might checkout the beautiful Loas scenery by bicycle

bye for now!

Claire Vang Vieng, laos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Live!

So we successfully navigated our way around three airports and made it to our guesthouse in Saigon. It's down a small alley which is frequented by people on bikes singing about what they have to sell. Water bread fruit etc. Not far from a park where heaps of kids play a mutated form of hackey sack involving springs and feathers. I know I've seen this doo-hicky somewhere else either Nepal or Melbourne . . . It is hot hot hot and who would have thought? My fingers are sticking to the keys. The rain we heard so much about has come and we might need to buy an umbrella or maybe a garbage bag. Our room is nice and there IS room to swing a cat, so we're happy. Navigtion is a bit wierd, but we're only new so we might catch on. Inter-district travel is our next hurdle. Hot and Sticky, Bec, Saigon

Christmas Eve

So far it's business as usual in Sihanoukville on this hot hot hot Christmas eve. People working on the beach keep updating us on the proximity of Christmas day - without them I think it would have slipped our attention maybe. There's also the odd scrap of tinsel hanging off some trees. In honour of my mother I have decided to force Paul into a Christmas day lunch at Mick and Craig's - an awesome restaurant run by a couple of Australians (we think). For fifteen dolla we receive fresh tomato and basil soup, stuffed baked eggplant with parmasan cheese, roasted potato, pumpkin, beets, sweet potato, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and apple crumble for dessert. If I can't eat it all I will put the leftover's in my shoe or something because I love roast veggies so much. I would also like to take the opportunity to blow the whistle on Paul The Traitor (please refer to him as such from now on) who keeps ordering meaty dishes full of meat. I have sampled said meat to see if it i...