Skip to main content

Which hammock should I sleep in today? The decisions one must make while at the lake.

I don't have much to update you guys with lately. I've been alternating between banana-lounges, bucket chair things and hammocks over the past week or so. Today it was a hammock. #9 Guesthouse (and sister) really have to be experienced, I can't describe it properly. There is pretty much no reason to leave, so maybe you can understand why I haven't been blogging much. There's no wifi at the guesthouse, but it's not the kind of thing you think about once you're there. Seriously. Guys, if you ever come here you should find #9 lakeside. I'm speaking to the younger people here. Maybe the adults might not appreciate the $5 rooms (they're a bit on the simple side) and would rather splash out for something over by the river, but once you're here, the only time you're in your room is when you're asleep... and I've been sleeping a lot outside too, so maybe you won't spend any time in your room at all. The sister guesthouse is quieter and the rooms are a little better, but basically the same thing.

I gotta be honest, I didn't like the look of the rooms when I arrived, and a while back we had to tackle the biggest damn huntsman I've ever seen, but it really grows on you. Has anyone seen the movie Hostel? (I know it's probably a bad comparison to use, but whatev.) Well, #9 is pretty much like the fantasy hotel that lures you in at the start of the movie (without the unisex showers) - there's the frequent wafting smell of weed, and bean-bag chair movie room (I say room, but there's no walls) constantly playing Pulp Fiction (actually no one has watched Pulp Fiction, but it's on the DVD wall.) and Swedish girls wandering around. If we disappear forever, then you can probably figure out what happened to us. The only thing is, because we never leave the guesthouse, we end up spending about 5 times our room price on food.

When I first got to Cambodia I was adamant that I was going to go see the killing fields and visit the museums dedicated to preserving the evidence of the atrocities committed by the Khmer Rouge, but I've fallen into this lifestyle that consists of little more than getting out of bed and wandering to my hammock. The killing fields feel like another world away. Maybe I'll buy the DVD instead.

I guess we should upload some photos or something. Well, not today. I'll take one of our stupidly oversized shower and upload it tomorrow, I'll try to make sure someone is in there for scale, otherwise you might not appreciate how really stupidly large it is. It's such a pity there is only one shower head in there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theory

So Bec, I have been thinking...following various circumstances involving food poisoning i have come up with the following theory! I have realised that the only times i (and many fellow travellers) have been sick has been when i have eaten at restaurants...we have the veggie spring roll ordeal in Sapa last year and Kaz and i had the killer seafood in Koh Chang, Thailand. This trip i have been mainly eating at food stalls in markets and roadside and never been sick (not including the koh chang prawns of death). my theory goes as follows: The restaurant is more likely to carry bacteria and have cross comination due to the fact that it isn't packed up, cleaned and moved everyday like food stalls. Also you can't see how they cook the food or how the food is stored! The food at stalls is fresh everyday because there aint no fridges! So far my theory has proved me right, though i won't hold my breath! ;)